Richard Ferguson

Default The IDEAL Machinery Moving Trailer?

The concept still works, the tow truck can be used to load your own
truck or trailer at the far away site where you are buying your heavy
equipment. Tow truck companies can be found anywhere, and you don't
need to give them much notice when you want their services. You use
your own truck, your own trailer, or a rental trailer to get the
equipment home. When you get home, you can hire another tow truck, or
perhaps you have better material handling equipment in your shop, or
perhaps you have a friend with a crane or a forklift.

Richard

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Hi,

I agree with using the tow truck approach (crane or tilt bed) but when
the machine is hundred of miles away from home (which is usually the
case with an Ebay purchase or an auction) this solution doesn't work.

TMT

Richard Ferguson wrote in message ...
The more that I have looked at the various proposals and systems,
especially for machinery that weighs 2000 pounds and up, the more I like
the idea of calling an auto towing company with a tow truck with a boom
to pick up the unit and load it on a trailer or into a truck. I have
seen it done, and it is relatively simple and safe. It also solves the
problem of getting good help, as the truck comes with a driver
accustomed to lifing heavy things. If the move is local, the tow truck
may be able to haul it on the hook directly to your shop. This assumes
that the machine has lifting eyes or is otherwise not hard to rig to be
lifted by a crane.

Richard

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

As a longtime lurker, I have always read the various postings of
moving/rigging/hauling machinery by those of us HSMers who do it on an
occasion where we have found the next machine in our endless journey
to upgrade our shops.

While I have moved a number of machines over the years, one common
problem is having the means to load and unload the trailer. Rarely
have I had access to a forklift at the location where my latest find
has been. While there are ways to load and unload any trailer, the
common problem has always been doing it with minimal equipment in
awkward locations with less than adequate number of helpers. After
searching for awhile for a trailer that is made to haul machinery, I
would say that the following link shows the best combination of
features for a machine carrying trailer. I would like to hear your
comments and suggestions as to what you would add to this trailer.
While added capacity is always welcomed, there is an upper limit to
what a 1/2 or 3/4 ton pickup will tow. I would also be interested in
your opinion on the Bil-Jax trailer product line.

TIA

TMT

http://www.biljax.com/products.asp?c...03%2D01%2D0003

http://www.biljax.com/products.asp?c...D01%2D0007++++