Andrew Gabriel

Default How strict should my Cat5 installation be?

In article ,
"Ivor Jones" writes:

It's been a while since I looked, but last time I checked the IEE wiring
regs prohibited running comms cable in the same trunking or channel as
mains wiring.

Double patress boxes are available with spaces for two single socket
outlet size plates and a separator between them, this would be an option
but you would need to route the cable separately.

There's a telephony regulation for telephony circuits connected
to the public telephone network which requires phone outlets to
be at least 50mm from mains outlets. Sorry I don't know the
reference for this.

Also, the separator in Double patress boxes does not seal the
two compartments if the box is recessed behind the plaster
surface any distance. (Indeed, I often end up passing earth
wires over the separator, making use of just this 'feature'.)

--
Andrew Gabriel