Posted to rec.woodworking
George Max George Max is offline

Default Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

On 6 Sep 2006 19:42:25 -0700, "RayV" wrote:

Chris Friesen wrote:
The Other Funk wrote:

Now for all you young people who weren't around in the early 60's,
nothing that has been said about the government forcing something down
your throat wasn't said back then about seatbelts. At the time,
seatbelts were adding about $50.00 to the cost of the car.

Yeah, but $50 on a $10000 car is a bit different than $400 on a $2000 saw.

(Remember, currently Sawstop has multiple patents on the concept, and
wants 8% of the purchase price in royalties on top of the added cost of
the mechanism.)

Chris

Great post Chris, Its nice to enjoy a comment from someone that has an
open
mind about the big picture.

I'm not opposed to safety features but I agree with those that say,
"hey a tablesaw is dangerous watch what you're doing". A TS is not
nearly as common as a CMS or a sawzall. To me a sawzall is far more
dangerous than any TS.

Don't forget chainsaws

There are plenty of tools a lot more common than the TS that can hurt
people except nobody has figured out a way to patent a feature to make
money from govt. mandate. If I remember correctly Volvo has many of
the automotive safety patents and didn't/doesn't charge the other
manufacturers to use them. Pretty sure their seatbelt mechanism is the
one still used today. If this guy is really all about safety he could
let the other companies use his patents gratis...

And remember, for all those that read or have read my other posts,
it's not the device so much that I have a problem with, it's the end
run they're doing to try getting it codified into what is essentially
law.