Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Unisaws...Are the Old Ones "Better" than the New Ones?

Thanks for the response...

Has anyone compared the old versus new Unisaws side by side?

I did that once with the Rockwell 14" bandsaw and there were
differences in the table webs, trunions and guides.

Also with the older Unisaw motors, are they adequate?

Thanks

TMT

A.M. Wood wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Over the years I have seen a number of Unisaws...both old and new.

I have also heard a number of owners tell me why their saw was better
than the other.

Now I have the possibility to buy an Unisaw and have the opportunity to
buy either a newer or older saw locally...so now it's time to sort
through the truth from the hype.

Which would you choose...older or newer, why and what would you pay for
them?

Finally if you were checking out an used Unisaw, what would you check?

Thanks

TMT

The mechanical working of the saw hasn't changed much if all since it
was first manufactured in 1939ish.

The older saws have heavier cabinets and cast iron bases.

The older saws have 1750 motors. Newer are about 2x that. Fewer
revolutions means less wear & tear on the motor.

The older saws are cheaper, but used. The good news is that cast iron
& steel clean up pretty well.

A biesemeyer fence is $300 and fits both.

I think the older are a better deal. But like a few have said, it
takes some time to find a decent one and some work to get it all nice &
shiney