ATP

Default The IDEAL Machinery Moving Trailer?

Tony wrote:
The Bil_Jax is a fine trailer. However they are expensive units,
especially when you get into the heavy GVW. For instance a 7000#
Biljax costs around $8000.00. JLG also makes a similar line but
anything from JLG is extremely expensive. That didn't suit me because
I wanted to be able to trailer my forklift for rigging purposes, and
that weighs 8000# just by itself.

I settled on a tilt-bed trailer from Centerville. It has 11,998# gross
weight, it very low to the ground, and I had an optional 6000# winch
mounted on the front to winch heavy items on the bed. My trailer with
the winch and oak deck cost $4600.00

Of course you then need to get grade 7 tie down chains, chain binders,
hitch, brake controller, so plan on spending a bit more.

Here's a pic of my rig attached.

Tony

Nice trailer. In NY, you need a special class license once you start pulling
anything over 10,000 pounds, unless it's an RV. My ideal trailer, short of
the drop deck under discussion, would be a 5 ton tilt trailer with no rails
on the side that I can haul my Bobcat with as well as machines. I currently
have a single axle landscape trailer thats a bit on the light side, but
worked pretty well for moving a #12 Van Norman a short ways recently. We
removed the ramp at the factory where it was loaded, so the forklift could
get the machine in the middle of the trailer. At home I also removed the
ramp, put the rear end right on the floor and hitched a come-along to the
mill. I edged it off the trailer with bars and rods, a little at a time,
using a thick steel plate to ease the transition off the back.