Toolbert

Default touble with this saw.

"mark" wrote in message
HMMMM....
another funky website that shows different things to different
browsers... I was searching for a wet cutting tile saw and upon my
browser pops up a picture of set of thin combination wrenches but whose
title is $90 wet cutting tile saw....

yes, I was indeed having tiling troubles, went and got a real wet saw
with a diamond blade, all better now. Wonder if it would cut rock(as in
lapidary type of hobby) after the bathroom floor is done being tiled?

Rock saws (slabbing saws at least) differ only in that they cut with a very
slow feed, and need a good way to clamp the rock so it can't twist and wreck
the blade.

I did a floor tile project a couple years ago and gave up on the "nippers"
and on a dry-cut saw - strong tile, just too hard and brittle for any
snap-cuts other than full straight lines across the tile. I didn't want to
buy a cheap junk wet saw and the ones that look worthwhile cost too much to
justify.

I have an older heavy duty 10" abrasive chopsaw that looked like it would
stand up to getting wet, and adapted it to the job. Loc-line nozzles on
both sides of the blade with a tee and adapter to feed it from a garden
hose. 10" wet-cut diamond blade from H.D. that happened to have the same
arbor hole. Temporarily replaced the vise with a bolted-down 1/4" bar to
serve as a fence. Set it up outside.

It worked great - used the basic "chop" action for full and partial cuts.
For shaping around e.g. the toilet flange, made parallel kerfs to the right
depth and then broke out the strips with the nippers.

At first I was obviously using too much feed pressure and was burning the
blade and tile even with a flood of water. The right "feel" became apparent
pretty quick.

Bob