Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Herman de Vries Herman de Vries is offline

Default Steady Rest for a 10" lathe

I got in on this post late, but Tim, if you want to take a look at the
design I came up with for building your own, see it on my webpage at

www.hdv.net under "Tips"

The direct link to a instruction file on how to make it is:

http://www.hdv.net/tips/Making%20a%20Steady%20Rest.htm

This thing has been copied hundreds of times by now, and everyone that
has made it likes it because it's simply, extremely sturdy and cheap to
make.

Herm

"Tim Schubach" wrote in
:

I still have my first lathe given to me by my parents decades ago.
Recently, I had need of a steady rest, and picked one up at the local
Woodcrafter's store only to find out that a steady rest built for a
12" lathe doesn't fit a 10" lathe - DUH!

So I've been on the hunt for a smaller version, and have not been
successful so far. Other than building one from scratch, are there
any other sources where I might find one for my smaller lathe?

I also feel like I should put a bumper sticker on the smaller lathe:
My other lathe is a 16". And I do have a home made steady rest for
it.

Thanks
Tim