Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default Unisaws...Are the Old Ones "Better" than the New Ones?

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 21:52:28 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
.. .

Absolutley not true and I don't know why you keep posting this
garbage, every time the subject comes up. Please tell me who
"according to Delta". It might add credibility to your claim.

IIRC Charles Self reported this. And yes it is true. Call Delta for you
self.

Call Delta? Call who in Delta? I ran the factory that you are
accusing of a bad torque parctice and are posting on this site that
Delta told you that. Who in Delta told you that? If there was a
problem with the torque practice or specification, I would have been
the one to report it as I did many other problems that occurred during
my tenure.

This went on for several years before Delta
quit blaming the shipping company and admitted responsibility.

Product was ISTA transit tested. Do you know what that means? It
means it has to pass a series of tests that simulate extreme but
normal handling in shipping. Tests like inclined ramp, straight drop,
and truck vibration tests. Pack passed without incident.

There is no doubt trunions were broken. It came from tipovers onto
the front edge of the table sliding off forks. That is not normal
handling. And neither you nor I have any meaningful statistics on the
other the competitors saws shipping damage rates.

And it is Delta's responsibility to the customer, regardless of the
bad handling practices by the shipper, and every customer who was
affected was made whole or offered the opportunity to be made whole.

Your purchase choice is your choice, but I resent you continuing to
post, as you have for years, that the "factory" was not properly
torquing the units and that was causing broken trunnions. It is not
true and it is an insult to the many fine people who built those
machines.

Frank

Absolutely not true. Broken trunnions the result of a specific knock
down by either the shipping companies (multiple, Delta used many), or
in some cases I'm sure, a tip over in the distribution center after it
was moved from Memphis to Jackson, TN. I watched many trunions
broken as we tried to purposely break them by trying every type of
drop and tipover possible.

No other company had the problems with broken trunions like Delta did. Jet
did not have problems, nor Powermatic, nor Grizzley, Craftsman.
Common sense points to Delta having the problem unless you believe that the
shipping companys had it out for Delta and tried to only damage their units.
For that matter it was often reported that Grizzley TS's arrived upside down
with no truniopn damage.
If a particular brand cannot survive the shipping while the competition
does, I DONT WANT IT.

When I was in the market 6 or 7 years ago I compared Jet directly to Delta
side by side. I bought the Jet.

If you preferred the Jet saw that is fine. That's why there are
choices. But don't post lies about the other choices.

The Delta had a broken trunion also. I did not prefer Jet prior to seeing
that some Unisaws were incapable of bein gshipped withoput damage. I was
personally contacted by Delta regarding a Unisaw with a broken trunion
setting at a local dealer. He claimed shipping also. Well Yes it was
shipping, the same shipping that delivers all the other brands.