Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa Teamcasa is offline

Default Unisaws...Are the Old Ones "Better" than the New Ones?

"Too_Many_Tools"
Now I have the possibility to buy an Unisaw and have the opportunity to
buy either a newer or older saw locally...so now it's time to sort
through the truth from the hype.
Which would you choose...older or newer, why and what would you pay for
them?
Finally if you were checking out an used Unisaw, what would you check?

IMHO - Either one. My fathers Unisaw is an older and mine is newer. They
both work great.
I would buy the one that checks out the best.
Look for broken or chipped corners. This may indicate it was dropped.
Take a 24" straight edge and check the table for flatness.
Run each and listen for bearing noise.
Run the trunion from stop to stop (up and down and tilt) and feel for
backlash and effort.
Take a dial indicator and check for arbor runout. (Use a new or known flat
blade.)
Finally check the motor for heat generation and noise, listen carefully at
startup and feel for full speed vibration.

If none of the above is possible, buy the one taht makes you feel good.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com