Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Davis Ken Davis is offline

Default Where do you start?

In article , (Tom
Nie) wrote:

*From:* "Tom Nie"
*Date:* Wed, 6 Sep 2006 07:20:38 -0400

Darrell,

Simply you were referring to newbies. I tried a skew again this
weekend and think #@%&$#@!!!!!

Try using a 3/8" beading and parting tool to take a planing cut - or
better, sharpen it like a skew. You should find it difficult *to* get a
dig in. A well known pro turner in the UK, Ray Jones always uses that
one and decries the advice a lot of others give to get at least a 1" one.

Even with a wider one, though, if you just present the tool, short point
down and with the edge between that point and about a third of the way
along to the wood, it should plane fine. It's when you try cutting
closer to the long point that the tool is then out of balance and will
pivot around its point of contact on the rest and dig right in.

That - and being frightened you will get a dig, are in my view, the main
causes of problems but, at least until you've succeeded that way, never
use it with the long point down except for cutting vees - and cutting
them, don't just point the tool at the wood and hope. Cut to one side
of the intended line of the vee and then cut down each side in turn
until you reach the depth you want, *where* you want it.

Ken