Posted to rec.woodworking
jd jd is offline

Default Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

the whole sawstop thing is a perfect example of how broken our system is.
Rather than letting this (rather questionable in my opinion) product survive
in a competetive marketplace, the sawstop folks have decided that they'll
attempt to mandate the use of thier product.

Any time a vendor takes this path, I immediately have to seriously question
the viability of their product. If it as as good as they say it is, there
won't be any need for mandating its use (commercial shop or not). Do some
simple math:

the cost of having an employee lose a finger (even if its still attached,
but no longer works properly) is well over $10K - lost productivity,
increased insurance premiums, time spent on paperwork, etc. If their product
does what they say it does, as long as it costs less than $10K, and smart
shop will be adopting it (assuming of course it really does have no effect
on productivity). If it as good as they say, OSHA will eventually adopt its
use, and insurance companies will offer discounts to those shops that use
it. In other words, it'll pay for itself PDQ.

For the home/hobby shop, OSHA stays out anyway, so it doesn't matter what
OSHA says. Of course, the saw manufacturers may decide to cover their butts
by only selling saws with the sawstop.. BUt then, that is the goal of the
sawstop folks - don't forget: THEY know more about the risks you take in
your shop than you do. You really should let them decide whats safe for
you.....

Bottom line: if the product adds significant safety without impacting
productivity, it will succeed anyway. If it doesn't, it'll fail. The sawstop
folks know this, and are simply trying to force it onto the marketplace to
maximise thier profits. If they succeed, I see the market for used saw
really explaning in the near future.

Just another case of some hoser deciding that he wants more of your money,
weather you want to give it to him or not.....

--JD

"Jim Northey" wrote in message

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
. com...
mike wrote:
I respect the technology and I believe that the SawStop is an excellant
product. I do not like the fact that the manufacture is trying to
force his product down my throat.

Me either.

Now that SS has actual saws for sale, the market should decide if the
brake should be on all saws. If SawStop makes a mint, the other
manufacturers will have to either come up with a comparable feature, or
license it from SS.

If it's mandated on new saws, say buh-bye! to $400 table saws, like the
Bosch, Rigid, or Grizzly. Think of what it will do to the used table saw
market for non-commercial users! G

I wonder how this thing will work with a dado blade.
Jim