Posted to uk.d-i-y
Orson Cart Orson Cart is offline

Default Painting a concrete floor

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 12:51:59 +0100, John wrote:

In article . com,
"Bookworm" wrote:

Do not apply stabilisation solution to the floor before painting it.
Stabilisation solutions are meant to arrest 'dusting' of the floor. It
will also slightly act as a waterproofing which will prevent any
penetration of 'floor paint' or a proper coating to the surface. The
Floor paint or an epoxy coating will lift.

EH?! I had a new garage floor 14 years ago. For once in my life I
thought I'd do a Proper Job on painting it, so I bought proper concrete
paint from the builder's merchant (not a "shed"), and I also bought the
recommended stabiliser to use underneath it.

After some *years*, the paint lifted in various parts, where I drive the
car into the garage. It's now looking tatty enough for me to think
about doing it again.

It would never occur to me that I'd be doing the wrong thing by applying
a stabiliser first. The fact that it's lifting (or should I just say
'worn away') now is fair wear and tear if you ask me. By the way I've
parked the car in in the garage every night, for 14 years.

John

My floor is in an outhouse that I've had built - somewhere to which I can
retreat to do man stuff ;-) - and the only wear and tear will be from my
feet. I'll run the risk of the paint lifting and do what you did...
probably... and that's a definite maybe...

--
Steve