Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Low energy lamps

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 14:32:45 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

| What's the normal failure mode for low energy lamps? I have (had!) an
| Osram Dulux 20W/827 lamp just above me and all of a sudden it failed -
| no flickering, no dimming - it just went out!
|
|There are many failure modes. Simply not working at all is the most common,
|IME.

IME they do not fail at all, well *very* rarely. After running the whole
house on low energy bulbs except for a few long flourescents, for mumble
years I have last week had my first failure, a 23 watt bulb at the top of
the stairs, it just stopped working. Highly chuffed with the long life
of these lamps, IME well in excess of the advertised 10,000 hours.

My experience is they either are DOA or fail within a few days (had 3
like that out of half a dozen so far), or just keep going.