Toolbert

Default The IDEAL Machinery Moving Trailer?

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
om...
As a longtime lurker, I have always read the various postings of
moving/rigging/hauling machinery by those of us HSMers who do it on an
occasion where we have found the next machine in our endless journey
to upgrade our shops.

While I have moved a number of machines over the years, one common
problem is having the means to load and unload the trailer. Rarely
have I had access to a forklift at the location where my latest find
has been. While there are ways to load and unload any trailer, the
common problem has always been doing it with minimal equipment in
awkward locations with less than adequate number of helpers. After
searching for awhile for a trailer that is made to haul machinery, I
would say that the following link shows the best combination of
features for a machine carrying trailer. I would like to hear your
comments and suggestions as to what you would add to this trailer.
While added capacity is always welcomed, there is an upper limit to
what a 1/2 or 3/4 ton pickup will tow. I would also be interested in
your opinion on the Bil-Jax trailer product line.

Hi TMT,

That's a neat looking trailer - with a winch and a pipe or two, would make
many trips easy.

IMO the bed is too short - need at least 8' to be worth owning. Also the
high sides may make the 5' width a problem. Typical mill you need to load
lined up front-back, can you always raise the table high enough to clear?

6' wide x 10' long bed is more useful. If I built something this size it
might be a tilt-bed instead of a drop-bed. I am less interested in the bed
sitting flat and level on the ground, it's good enough to have a flat bed
with a back edge that can reach the ground. If the front end is raised let
the winch handle it. (Works for a winch, not a pallet jack)

I've had good luck being in the right place at the right time with a
full-size pickup and a removable rack, and finding local arrangements for
lift frame in front of the shop for anything else up to 5 tons.

My limited experience with rentals has been a rule-of-thumb that (a) you
need a tandem-axle trailer to do anything safely, and (b) rental T/A's
require a 3/4 ton PU. But if you *own* a T/A there are safe arrangements to
set up brake control and towing with a 1/2 ton PU or similar size SUV.

I wound up upgrading to a 3/4 ton PU but in hindsight should have stuck with
the older, better, more reliable 1/2 ton and invested in the right trailer.

I've pondered trailers with built-in lifting frames, outriggers, sliding
beds and such and never got past fundamental problems with weight and
complexity. This bil-jax trailer is probably engineered better than a
typical home project. Hard to build something as safe and useful that comes
close on the empty weight.

Bob