Wild Bill

Default BANDSAW power, so what would be my best options for powering this machine HELP!

If there's a data tag on the 2 HP gearhead motor, it might be worthwhile to
check the motor's RPM, and/or that the leads are wired correctly for the
voltage you applied to it.
I would think it should run at about 1725 RPM (and about 75 RPM output) if
it's a split phase capacitor start motor. There are many archived posts
concerning problems and solutions for these types of motors.. faults with
the centrifugal switch, bearings or capacitor in most cases.
A SPCS gearhead motor would most likely be the best power for your bandsaw
since they're dependable and relatively maintenance-free. You'd probably
want 1 HP or larger.

If your gearhead motor is some sort of unusual capacitor run (3-wire) 800
RPM fan-duty-type motor, it's probably unlikely that it's a 2 HP motor. This
probably wouldn't be suitable for powering most metalworking machines.
They're more suitable for light loads.

WB

"Roy" wrote in message
I drug out that gear head motor and the output is a nice 46 rpm,
however, after about 10 minutes of running time it gets hot enough to
fry an egg on it. I would have thought its continuous duty,
considering what it was removoved from, but evidently its not rated as
such. I had high hopes for that motor.

I think a fractional horsepower on this downsized bandsaw would be
grossly underpowered. I now decided to make it strictly for cutting
metals and what ever it may happen to cut at those speeds.

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.