Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Power for tablesaw in shop?

wrote:
Initiated a new woodworking shop endeavor last week and have "anything
goes" on electrical from the contractor and wonder where the "typical"
power source is for the TS whether 110V or 220V. Currently have 110V
TS and it was plugged into a ceiling receptacle and was happy with
that not having to step over a cord on the floor but inquiring minds
wonder what other alternatives exist. Got the X10 for dust collection
that was utilizing the same circuit and enjoyed it muchly. Small
compressor can use either voltage but will probably convert to 220V
for efficiency. Shop/garage will be 24X30 with 9' ceilings with half
bath and drain board/sink adjacent and 3 windows with 18' garage door
and person door. Anxiously awaiting completion! Anxiously awaiting

If you're really considering alternatives and it's not too late (sounds
like it probably is for anything sizable ), the _ideal_ solution is
to run power (and air) in underfloor raceways to areas where equipment
such as the TS, planer, etc., are to be. Overhead and wall receptacles
plentifully scattered around strategically are also to be valued, of
course.

I would also try to arrange for enclosure for stationary dust
collection and air compressor for noise abatement in the shop itself.

If it were me, I'd replace the single double-wide door w/ two, as well.
Being able to open only one is a major advantage imo.

Also concur w/ the shower if possible and would consider strongly a
finishing room w/ ventilation and dust-free environment and
explosion-proof electrics.

How far to go depends, of course, on budget and what one actually
does/intends to do, but those are areas I'd throw out for
consideration...