Roy

Default BANDSAW power, so what would be my best options for powering this machine HELP!

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 04:52:49 -0500, "Wild Bill"
wrote:

===You mentioned having a 2 HP 120/240VAC gearhead motor that's reduced by
===23.1, so that should give you about 75 RPM final output (for a motor speed
===of about 1725 rpm), I think.
===If that gearbox is rated for an input of 2 HP, it's not going to wear out
===anytime soon from powering your bandsaw.
===
===For 12" wheels, (37.68" circumference) you'd get about 235 FPM blade speed
===at a 1:1 ratio. Some reasonable pulley sizes should get you to your ideal
===lower speed for metal. Getting up to the speed range mentioned for wood will
===be a little more difficult.
===
===Fractional HP motors are used to drive 10" bandsaw wheels through worm
===reduction, so 2 HP should provide you with plenty of power.
===
===WB

snip

I drug out that gear head motor and the output is a nice 46 rpm,
however, after about 10 minutes of running time it gets hot enough to
fry an egg on it. I would have thought its continuous duty,
considering what it was removoved from, but evidently its not rated as
such. I had high hopes for that motor.

I think a fractional horsepower on this downsized bandsaw would be
grossly underpowered. I now decided to make it strictly for cutting
metals and what ever it may happen to cut at those speeds.

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.