Harold & Susan Vordos

Default Need to drill 1" deep .138 hole STRAIGHT. HOW?

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 13:22:02 -0800, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:47:12 GMT, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

snip----

Even boring tools can drift. Maybe not as much as a drill would, but

.600
is a lot of run out. Okay, so its a hole 31 1/2 feet long. ...

nothing
is
perfectly straight without work.

Ive got a very nice Eldorado Gun Drill for sale, if anyone wants really
deep straight holes...

Gunner

Certainly far better than drilling with twist drills, but I recall

watching
P.O. Ackley straightening barrels drilled that way too. :-)

Harold

St. Ackley never used an Eldorado gun drill G

Drill, THEN turn to profile between centers G

Gunner

You're most likely right. I think my point was that even gun drilled holes
aren't necessarily dead straight (what does that really mean?), but then
after turning the OD , you'd certainly have error to remove, even if the
barrel had been drilled what could be considered straight. My report of
watching him straighten barrels is the only part I recall, that and the fact
that it was all done with an overhead press and checked by sight. It's
been about 20 years. Hell, he died in '89. Time flies!

Harold