Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default 3' X 5' X 8" thick slab. rebar required?

mook Johnson wrote:
OK teach me something about slab building as I am a rookie.

The object is a 500bs box that is 2' x 4'. It is fairly evenly distributed
over the box so load is not a problem.

Like I said in a previous post I'd like the surface of the slab to be 5" -
6" above the current ground level. This is in south texas so frost line is
not a major problem.

how would you recommend constructing this slab?

I'd do one of several things, assuming you don't want a wooden deck
type solution (which, in So TX I can certainly see) which as someone
else mentioned would certainly not be difficult to make to support the
load easily.

I'll outline basic choices/alternatives to consider--what, specifically
works for you depends on factors I don't have any way of knowing--where
you are, what sort of tools you have or have access to, etc., etc., ...

First choice would be to simply make a small "hill" to place the slab
on top of...will need some fill material from somewhere which can be a
pain if you're in a large metro area and don't have any hauling
capabilities. If you're lucky you've got enough of a lot you can
scrounge enough soil from one place to make the area you need large
enough high enough above the surrounding area. Assuming it's a yard,
ideally you would want it graded enough to plant back to grass and mow
along w/ the rest of the yard.

Next would be variations of the "wall and slab" method...rather than a
slab this thick all the way through, go ahead and form the full height
around the outer edge but fill in the center portion except for an area
around 4-6" wide (say) w/ fill material so that the bulk of the pour is
only 3-4" thick. Again, need something for some fill--can be old
brick, rock, clean dirt (not mixed w/ sod, sticks, etc.) or whatever
else you can find. Need it to be good enough that it can be packed
solidly, so settling isn't an issue later.

More sophisticated versions of the above include laying an outer wall
of block or brick, etc., and essentially proceeding as above from
there. Really all the point is is that there should be far less
labor-intensive and expensive ways to get the end result w/o pouring
such a huge block of solid concrete.

Second alternative would be to