Posted to alt.home.repair
Mook Johnson Mook Johnson is offline

Default 3' X 5' X 8" thick slab. rebar required?

I need to lift surface high enough so that it won't flood during heavy
rains. putting it 6" above ground level will insure that. The most I've
seen in that area is 2" of water during an extremely heavy downpour bfore
the water had a chance to drain off.

Just want to be safe.

I will rent a mixer for this job for sure!

"DanG" wrote in message

I am curious why so thick? You are holding up a bit more than 30
pounds/SF. Hand batching that much sack goods will have you worn out.
15-20 bags of 80 #. Normal sack goods makes about 2500 PSF concrete if
you don't add excess water (most people do).

Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"mook Johnson" wrote in message
I'm going to be pouring a 3 x 5 slab 8" thick. 2" below ground and 6"
above. It will need to support about 500lbs.

I'll be using quikrete for this. Do you think I'll need rebar for this
small slab?