Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default lead free solder

Leonard Caillouet wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Lenoard, From what I've read you should wick away most of the old
solder and do the repair with eutectic solder

I usually do, adding some fresh solder to help it off.

Leonard

Do you leave a tiny bit of saturated braid on the end when you trim
it? It helps conduct the heat to the joint faster and minimizes heat
damage. I try to leave about half the width of the tip when I trim
solder wick, then dip it about 1/4 inch into fresh liquid RMA flux. I've
changed thousands of ICs this way with almost no damage to the PC
boards.

The few that were damaged were mostly due to other causes, like some
idiot slamming a fist down on the bench while you're working because
they think you're ignoring them, or defective PC boards that have all
kinds of loose foils and pads. I have to see if my digital camera will
do decent macro shots. If it does, I'll put some pictures for the new
people on my website. BTW, How's business?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida