Posted to alt.home.repair
Gary Slusser Gary Slusser is offline

Default Water softener and soap in shower

Eddie G wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Eddie G" wrote in message
ups.com...
I installed a water softener several months ago and since then I notice
in the shower that I feel that the soap doesn't fully rinse off of me.
Is this normal with water softeners? Does this mean my wateris TOO
soft?

Should I use a different brand of soap, like Zest, that promotes no
soapy feeling?

To start, let's get a technicality out of the way. There is no such thing
as "too soft". There is though, less hard. There are different degrees of
hardness, but it is either soft or some degree of hardness. Just like a
lamp can be dimmed or brightened, it can be "too off". It is either off or
on.

The soap is rinsing off. What you feel is your very clean skin, not coated
with minerals in the water. Some people like that feel, others don't. For
those that do not, they adjust the softener to do a less than good job or
mix in some hard water, defeating the purpose of the softener to start with.
Personally, I like the slick feel of clean skin, but if you have never had
it, it can be a little strange.

Go to http://www.lifesourcewater.com/comparison-chart.html and read
under the "water softener" column. It says the water is not good for
drinking, plants, or pets. Is this propaganda to sell you their own
system?

And if you believe what they say, you'll eventually be buying a bridge
to nowhere. The site bends a lot of well known truths and then they mix
in their idea of the truth.

Their main product to replace a softener is a very over priced filter
to remove chlorine and tastes while it contains a PWT
(physical/magnetic water treatment) anti-scale/descale device. It does
not remove hardness, iron, maganese etc., so it is not a softener or a
replacement or one.

Gary
Quality Water Associates