Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] noelogara@hotmail.com is offline

Default Crack on outside wall

Gloxx1961 wrote:

I do not have any cracks inside where the crack is on the outside.
I know what needs to be done but just having to wait to see if insurers
will pay out my insurer seems to have passed it on to the previous
insurer I have been intouch with them but they just might say its over
five years your not insured with us tough!!!

I cant see what the insurance company can do about a crack in a wall
anyway. If the crack widens to the extent that the house needs a new
wall that is a different matter and there would be serious costs in
that. But a crack in a wall is very common and not to be alarmed about
unless it is progressive and threatening to fall apart.
Again as I said you should look at the alignment of the walls and see
if there is any movement there or any other crack in the joining walls
that you didnt notice before.
It may just be bad building work in that wall that caused the crack. It
doesnt appear on the inside wall so thats good news.
That crack may have been in the wall for many years but the outside
mortar may have recently come away to reveal it.
No need to pay an engineer to tell you something so obvious when you
have all the free advice you need here.
get us a few pics of it and we can advise for free. for now you should
fill it anyway as I already advised and monitor it for any development.

Remember that there are cracks in most houses and sometimes even new
houses.