Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gloxx1961 Gloxx1961 is offline

Default Crack on outside wall

wrote:
You need to get an experienced person to determine the most likely
cause of the crack. From that you will know whether it is an insurance
issue, or due to some other parties actions - or if it's down to you.

Are we talking about a crack you can fit your hand in? Or just a coin
on edge? Is your house a new build? Is it on flat ground? Are there
neighbouring properties having similar problems? Are there trees too
close to your house? Could there be a leaking drain underground?

There's a lot of possible causes, many of which aren't likely to be
covered by insurance.

Thank you for your comments

well insurance company did send out Loss Adjusters and they inturn
sent out structural engineer who actually said it May have been caused
by this earthquake he's not sure why I should have a vertical crack in
wall, house built in the late 40's earlly 50s
no trees not asked neighbours but we are on clay soil. the crack in
some part where the mortar has fallen out you can get two fingers in
the crack. I mean I know what needs to be done but I have to wait for
insurances to see who might pay for it.