Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] swimmydeepo@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default decorating concrete blocks to make them look like bricks?

wrote:

Youre never going to get blocks to look like bricks. Its easy enough to
cut straight lines with an angle grinder and make the wall look like a
wrongly bonded brick wall, and build with joints same thickness as
angle grinder blade...

I was thinking of doing the mortar lines using 2 cuts; one straight
(perpedicular) and the other at an angle of about 30 degrees to join
the other cut.

Bricks are far from a uniform colour and youre not going to
be able to replicate them unless youre an artist with a whole lotta
time on your hands.

The idea was to get the wall done quickly in order to concentrate on
the interiors (i.e. installing the central heating as the cold weather
is round the corner) and then doing the finishing touches at later
stages (no hurry about appearances...get the basics first).

If you want brick, use brick. If you must use blocks to save £, you
could at least use decorative blocks. Making your own blocks opens a
wide range of decorative options up as well as saving some dough.

Decorative blocks diy? Sounds interesting but not for me at this stage
(The wall has to be build quickly and cheaply)...I really thought there
must be some merchants selling brick-like decorative blocks.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

NT