Posted to rec.woodworking
Patriarch Patriarch is offline

Default cordless drills, power difference between cheap and half decent?

Dan wrote in
:

Patriarch wrote:
snip
Problem with these drills (once you get above
the obvious junk) seems more the batteries than the drill itself.
Seems a shame to have to toss a perfectly good tool because the
battery dies or can't be fed.

So where is the technology in these products? Batteries and
chargers, for the most part. And that's where the money is for the
business, as well.

Ten years is a _long_ time for a high tech tool. How old is your
computer? How much of the 'old one' was really dead when you
replaced it last time?

Patriarch

Both the original & the replacement cells were nicad, only difference
was capacity. I agree there have been technological changes in these
cells, but to compare it to what has taken place with computers in the
same period is way overblown.

Dan

But the thought got your attention, didn't it? Look more closely at
what has happened with battery life, charge cycles, and importantly,
weight requirements.

You're on Usenet, so you are at least some level of computer geek. ;-)

I bought 12v tools, because they work well for me, and were much less
expensive for the same levels of build quality. Very seldom do the
batteries need recharging before I do. And I do these things for the
fun of it...

Patriarch