Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Basement leaks from walls

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
Posted for James
Basement leaks from walls.

Message:
My basement leaks after each rain. It seems to be seeping thru the
walls, then again, it might just be coming down from the top of the
wall. Is there anything we can do to make this basement quit leaking?
We are wanting a finished basement, but cant until this problem is
fixed
PLEASE HELP!!!
Thanks a lot!
James Jones

Concrete block and most concrete is not waterproof and making it
waterproof is not easy or cheap. The first and most important step is to
move the water away from the structure. This includes grading the ground
around the house away from the house. I suggest no less that 5 feet but
10-20 is far better. Also make sure gutters and down spouts are all directed
away from your home. Most of the time that will take care of it. Next is
digging all around the foundation to provide a drain and to waterproof the
wall from the outside.

Any attempt to fix the problem from the inside is 98.87% certain to
fail.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit