Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB RonB is offline

Default cordless drills, power difference between cheap and half decent?

Most of my experience is with the Makita 14.4. I have had one of the older
ones for probably 10 years (it was purchased during a Builder's Square going
out of business sale). Everything except the batteries did well until a
year or two ago when batteries started failing (not bad, actually). By that
time the drill itself looked like an old, beat-up stock-car - pretty well
used. Not wanting to invest heavily in a motor that might die I bought one
aftermarket battery. My wife got me a new 14.4 set with drill motor and
impact screwdriver for Christmas last year. The batteries are
interchangeable but the old charger has a problem with new batteries.

BTW - The impact driver is great. We built about 225 feet of fence and
arbor this summer and the driver has driven more than 3,000 screws in a
fairly short period.

On the other hand, my brother-in-law keeps a couple of the 18v Skil's on the
farm and they, too look like stock cars but work fine. They feel pretty
much like my Makita but the motor/gear noise is a little different. Not
bad, just different.

RonB

"John Doe" wrote in message

I have a Skil 12 V cordless drill purchased for about $50 (US) a few
years ago. I guess it doesn't even have a part number, it just says
Variable Speed 12 Volts. It has seven torque settings plus the drill
setting. Besides foreword, stop, and reverse, there are no other
functions.

I'm wondering how much more powerful is a Makita 14.4 volt 6337DWDE
MFORCE driver?

http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...t&tag=6337DWDE

Is the Makita 14.4 volt 6935FDWDE cordless impact driver more or
less powerful than that when not using the hammer function?

http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...&tag=6935FDWDE

When they rate hammer tools, I think they include the instantaneous
torque with every pulse, but I'm interested in the persistent
twisting force.

Thank you for any answers.