Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default cordless drills, power difference between cheap and half decent?

"John Doe" wrote in message

I have a Skil 12 V cordless drill purchased for about $50 (US) a few
years ago. I guess it doesn't even have a part number, it just says
Variable Speed 12 Volts. It has seven torque settings plus the drill
setting. Besides foreword, stop, and reverse, there are no other
functions.

I'm wondering how much more powerful is a Makita 14.4 volt 6337DWDE
MFORCE driver?

http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...t&tag=6337DWDE

How much more powerful would be hard to say. Typically however better
quality tools perform better than cheaper tools of equal voltage. I Own
the 12 volt version of the Makita you are looking at and am pleased with it.

Is the Makita 14.4 volt 6935FDWDE cordless impact driver more or
less powerful than that when not using the hammer function?

http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...&tag=6935FDWDE

I also have the 12 volt version of this impact driver. You do not have the
option of not using this tool in a non impact setting. That said however it
spins freely when there is no load. However once a load is encountered the
hammering action immediately begins. IMHO this tool DOES NOT replace a
clutched drill driver. It is much easier to break a screw if you are not
careful with the trigger and do not stop driving then the screw stops going
in.

When they rate hammer tools, I think they include the instantaneous
torque with every pulse, but I'm interested in the persistent
twisting force.

That may be a tough force to measure. If you hold a bit with your fingers
and pull the trigger the driver immediately goes into hammer action to over
come your slight grip. This tool works like the typical air impact wrench.
It spins freely and quickly until any slight amount of resistance is met.