Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff Grunff is offline

Default decorating concrete blocks to make them look like bricks?

wrote:

Regarding time; I am much more comfortable with angle grinders than
mortar (and its mixing and 'hurry up' cos' that stuff is gonna to dry
up...and yes throw away the remainder -half or so'- cos' I'm too slow!
- is that cost effective?).

But after a mix or two, you learn to mix only what you will be able to
use in say 1.5-2hours. You get into a routine of mixing + cleaning the
mixer, and it all goes very smoothly.

I've built with both bricks and block, and they both have + and -
points. Blocks are very quick, but they're heavy and hard on the wrists
at height (apart from aerated, but that's another story). Bricks are
slower, but much nicer to handle, and look much better.

Consider the texture paint...that must be the better solution...any
expert out there?

Problem with that is that it'll need repainting regularly - which will
be very costly and time consuming. A brick wall might need re-pointing
every hundred years.

Another alternative is to use lime mortar (and bricks). I don't like the
stuff much, but from your POV it might be ideal. It takes *weeks* to
first-set, and *years* to fully set. You can mix up one lot, and use it
up slowly over a week or two. All you need to do is keep it covered.

--
Grunff