Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] fredfighter@spamcop.net is offline

Default Solar powered stirling engine project

Morris Dovey wrote:

I found http://science.howstuffworks.com/telescope5.htm which explains
az-el and equatorial mounts. Both require two-axis adjustment. The
collector will need to adjust at least +/- 23.5 degrees on one axis

Yes, with a equatorial mount it will need to move from +23.5 to -23.5
and back once per year. I think that could be done by having the user
adjust it once a week or so, assuming your collector can tollerate
a error of 2 or 3 degrees in declination.

If the collector takes the form of a U_shaped mirror shining on a pipe
parrallel to the polar axis it should be VERY insensitive to
declination
errors.

Consider the horseshoe mount (split ring mount) in particular as
it is very compact and can be designed without or with minimal
counterweighting. The key to low-power tracking is balance so
that you are not working against gravity. Telescopes weighing
tens of tons can easily be moved by hand.

and at least 180 degrees on the other. I say "at least" because I
can't depend on any specialized skills on the part of the installer.
Remember - this thing is required to operate sunup to sundown every
day of the year without human assistance.

Why does it need to operate for a whole year without human
assistance?

Wouldn't all day after being reset in the morning suffice?

--

FF