Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop` Pop` is offline

Default The Perils of Working For Friends

Tom Kendrick wrote:
I agree with what the other posters have said:

1. Unless this is a legitimate charity case (which it does not seem to
be) tell them that your situation has changed and you are no longer
taking on these types of projects.
2. Just because they ASK you a question does not require that you
answer it. In this case, they are asking the wrong question to the
wrong person. Here is the RIGHT question:

Are you interested in taking on another project for us?

Here is the right answer: No, I would prefer that you find someone
else to do the that project for you.

If they persist with other questions, your response should be that you
have no knowledge of what prevailing rates and time required - that
would be something to ask whoever they consider. Do NOT give them an
estimate.

You can retain your relationship with these people (friends,
neighbors, etc.) by simply stating that while you will continue to
meet them socially, your priorities have changed and you do not have
the TIME do take on their project.

There just are some folks who don't "get it" when it comes to showing
appreciation for what you do for them, whether you are being fully
compensated or not. Poor folks - they just don't know no better. Their
bad manners are showing.

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:42:55 +0100, woodpassion
wrote:

Long story short~ Remodeled basement for longtime friends, including
tearing out of old paneling glued to cinder block walls, framed,
drywalled, replaced windows, and hauled all the debris away. Said
friends didn't even offer to buy my sandwich when they ordered out
for lunch on several ocassions while I was slaving away in their
basement. Have had too many similar experiences with others in the
past year and have now decided not to do free work anymore. (I have
a full time job not related to building, but am a very skilled
carpenter/woodworker) So, "basement" friends want existing bathroom
next to finished basement remodeled. I need some guidance on how
much to charge...anyone here do paid work for friends? I'd like to
just charge a flat fee of what it's worth to me to even bother doing
it...they want me to give them an hourly rate and an estimate of how
much time it will take. What do you think? Thanks for any input.
I am new here and I really appreciate this site.

If it's causing trouble, one or more of the parties doesn't know what
friendship really means. Cut losses and be honest. A real friend won't
care.