Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Glenn-Nashville, GA Glenn-Nashville, GA is offline

Default I need a hard strong wood thats easy to find!

Try some persimmon, that is some tough wood.
Glenn

Bill C wrote:
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:05:47 -0400, Charles Friedman
wrote:

Thanks for the web reference on the strength of different wood species.
think that the easy winners are oak and maple.

If you can get scrap pallets from Brazil (the automakers ship from there)
you may be able to get hold of as much tamarind as you can haul away.
IIRC, the compressive strength on it is roughly 3x that of oak. I DO know
that it hangs onto a nail for dear life!

If you are near the Detroit area (or willing to pay the UPS shipping
charge elsewhere) I can pass along a good sized chunk of it for you to
play with ... err, um 'tryout'.

If interested, reply here before we take it to email.

Bill