Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy Michael Kennedy is offline

Default 120VAC 15A motor won't spin up to speed

How do you determine what value cap you need by checking the windings with a
meter?

Upon closer inspection there is one 330mfd and one rusty cap that I can't
read.

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..

I have a 120VAC 15A electric motor that is on an aircompressor that I
found. I plugged it in and the motor starts to spin slowly but never gets
going fast then trips the circuit breaker.

It spins eaisly by hand and the bearings seem to be okay. Does it
probably just need new capacitors? It has 2 120v 330uf caps on it.

If those are the correct ratings, possibly. But I'd check the windings
with a meter first.