Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 120VAC 15A motor won't spin up to speed

I have a 120VAC 15A electric motor that is on an aircompressor that I found.
I plugged it in and the motor starts to spin slowly but never gets going
fast then trips the circuit breaker.

It spins eaisly by hand and the bearings seem to be okay. Does it probably
just need new capacitors? It has 2 120v 330uf caps on it.

- Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

There is no belt, the shaft goes right into the compressor. I can turn it
quite eaisly with my hand.

- Mike

"Jamie" t wrote in message
Michael Kennedy wrote:

I forgot to mention that it trips the breaker in 15 seconds or less.

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..

I have a 120VAC 15A electric motor that is on an aircompressor that I
found. I plugged it in and the motor starts to spin slowly but never gets
going fast then trips the circuit breaker.

It spins eaisly by hand and the bearings seem to be okay. Does it
probably just need new capacitors? It has 2 120v 330uf caps on it.

- Mike

pull the belt off and see if it comes up to speed.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I'm thinking starter cap and possibly the run cap since they don't look very
pretty. I just have no idea what sympoms a motor suffers from when it has a
bad start cap..

I guess I'll check the caps with my esr meter.

- Mike

"Jamie" t wrote in message
Michael Kennedy wrote:

I have a 120VAC 15A electric motor that is on an aircompressor that I
found. I plugged it in and the motor starts to spin slowly but never gets
going fast then trips the circuit breaker.

It spins eaisly by hand and the bearings seem to be okay. Does it
probably just need new capacitors? It has 2 120v 330uf caps on it.

- Mike

starting winding bad, centrifugal switch bad? starting cap
(if you have one) bad ?
who knows?

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..

I have a 120VAC 15A electric motor that is on an aircompressor that I
found. I plugged it in and the motor starts to spin slowly but never gets
going fast then trips the circuit breaker.

It spins eaisly by hand and the bearings seem to be okay. Does it probably
just need new capacitors? It has 2 120v 330uf caps on it.

If those are the correct ratings, possibly. But I'd check the windings with
a meter first.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..

I'm thinking starter cap and possibly the run cap since they don't look
very pretty. I just have no idea what sympoms a motor suffers from when it
has a bad start cap..

Won't run. Buzzes. Starts up very slowly. Halts and catches fire.

--
_____ _ _
|_ _| | | | |
| | __ _ _ __ ___ | |__| | ___ _ __ ___ ___ _ __
| | / _` | '_ ` _ \ | __ |/ _ \| '_ ` _ \ / _ \ '__|
_| |_ | (_| | | | | | | | | | | (_) | | | | | | __/ |
|_____| \__,_|_| |_| |_| |_| |_|\___/|_| |_| |_|\___|_|
__ ____
/ _| | _ \
___ | |_ | |_) | ___ _ __ __ _
/ _ \| _| | _ / _ \| '__/ _` |
| (_) | | | |_) | (_) | | | (_| |_
\___/|_| |____/ \___/|_| \__, (_)
__/ |
|___/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Won't run. Buzzes. Starts up very slowly. Halts and catches fire.

hmm.. sounds about right.. Off to go buy some caps tomorrow.

Thanks

- Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

How do you determine what value cap you need by checking the windings with a
meter?

Upon closer inspection there is one 330mfd and one rusty cap that I can't
read.

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..

I have a 120VAC 15A electric motor that is on an aircompressor that I
found. I plugged it in and the motor starts to spin slowly but never gets
going fast then trips the circuit breaker.

It spins eaisly by hand and the bearings seem to be okay. Does it
probably just need new capacitors? It has 2 120v 330uf caps on it.

If those are the correct ratings, possibly. But I'd check the windings
with a meter first.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..

How do you determine what value cap you need by checking the windings with
a meter?

Upon closer inspection there is one 330mfd and one rusty cap that I can't
read.

You don't, but if a winding is burned out new caps won't help. BTW, you
might have a motor with a start and a run cap. Local distributor may be able
to guess at the value - many electrician's meters now will measure the value
too.

--
_____ _ _
|_ _| | | | |
| | __ _ _ __ ___ | |__| | ___ _ __ ___ ___ _ __
| | / _` | '_ ` _ \ | __ |/ _ \| '_ ` _ \ / _ \ '__|
_| |_ | (_| | | | | | | | | | | (_) | | | | | | __/ |
|_____| \__,_|_| |_| |_| |_| |_|\___/|_| |_| |_|\___|_|
__ ____
/ _| | _ \
___ | |_ | |_) | ___ _ __ __ _
/ _ \| _| | _ / _ \| '__/ _` |
| (_) | | | |_) | (_) | | | (_| |_
\___/|_| |____/ \___/|_| \__, (_)
__/ |
|___/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael Kennedy" writes:

How do you determine what value cap you need by checking the windings with a
meter?

Upon closer inspection there is one 330mfd and one rusty cap that I can't
read.

Remove all load from the motor shaft.

Disconnect everything but the run winding. Spin the rotor by hand and
power up the motor. It should come up to speed instantly and run cool.

If this works, the rotor and windings are probably OK.

If it cannot be spun up, buzzes, still catches fire , one of the windings
may be shorted. Another alternative is that the bearings are so shot
that it's binding on the stator.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
"Michael Kennedy" writes:

How do you determine what value cap you need by checking the windings with a
meter?

Upon closer inspection there is one 330mfd and one rusty cap that I can't
read.

Remove all load from the motor shaft.

Disconnect everything but the run winding. Spin the rotor by hand and
power up the motor. It should come up to speed instantly and run cool.

If this works, the rotor and windings are probably OK.

If it cannot be spun up, buzzes, still catches fire , one of the windings
may be shorted. Another alternative is that the bearings are so shot
that it's binding on the stator.

Hi...

You guys are creating flashbacks for me... back to
around the time sunshine was invented

Anyone else here long enough in the tooth to
remember the "growler"?

Take care.

Ken

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message

You guys are creating flashbacks for me... back to
around the time sunshine was invented

Anyone else here long enough in the tooth to
remember the "growler"?

Sure - and the vibrating hacksaw blade.

--
_____ _ _
|_ _| | | | |
| | __ _ _ __ ___ | |__| | ___ _ __ ___ ___ _ __
| | / _` | '_ ` _ \ | __ |/ _ \| '_ ` _ \ / _ \ '__|
_| |_ | (_| | | | | | | | | | | (_) | | | | | | __/ |
|_____| \__,_|_| |_| |_| |_| |_|\___/|_| |_| |_|\___|_|
__ ____
/ _| | _ \
___ | |_ | |_) | ___ _ __ __ _
/ _ \| _| | _ / _ \| '__/ _` |
| (_) | | | |_) | (_) | | | (_| |_
\___/|_| |____/ \___/|_| \__, (_)
__/ |
|___/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hmm.. Well I don't know what you guys are talking about but anyhow a new cap
fixed the motor! Thanks evrybody.

Now I found out that the piston ring on the air compressor is bad and it
also needs a new piston sleeve. Can you get piston rings and sleves for
these things? I dindn't find much on google.

- Mike

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message

You guys are creating flashbacks for me... back to
around the time sunshine was invented

Anyone else here long enough in the tooth to
remember the "growler"?

Sure - and the vibrating hacksaw blade.

--
_____ _ _
|_ _| | | | |
| | __ _ _ __ ___ | |__| | ___ _ __ ___ ___ _ __
| | / _` | '_ ` _ \ | __ |/ _ \| '_ ` _ \ / _ \ '__|
__ ____
__/ |
|___/