Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The Perils of Working For Friends

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 14:17:14 GMT, "JimR" wrote:

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

[snip]

I think I would come up with an excuse as to why you aren't available to
do the
work for them at any price.

Why come up with an "excuse"? Just man up and tell them that you (or
the OP) doesn't like to work for friends because it's frought with
problems on both sides.

I like that answer. It's either friends or an arms-length relationship, but
can't be both. I've been in similar circumstances, providing sophisticated
spreadsheets and other computer programs. For me, I won't charge for my
time because I'm not a computer professional and can't/won't warranty my
work. Neither would I guarantee my woodwork.

Once you start getting paid
for something, you have an obligation to (a) do it right, (b) do it
professionally, and (c) fix it when necessary. Regards --

Why? That's never bothered Microsoft or any of a number of other
"professional" software vendors. :-)