Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clint Sharp Clint Sharp is offline

Default Diesel starting problem

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
the fuel in a breakdown truck?). We ran the cars for over 100,000 miles
and never replaced a pump, in fact we never replaced anything in the
fuel system apart from the filters. 13 Peugeot 406HDIs, one Renault
Espace 2.2DT and an Audi A6 1.9Tdi.

Is the right answer for pre common-rail systems.

Umm, the Peugeot 406 HDI is a common rail system IIRC, electronic
injection system and almost all the sensors you'd find on a petrol car.
The Espace wasn't and I think the Audi was but can't be certain because
it had a pretty plastic cover that was a pain in the butt to remove for
quickly testing the equipment we used to make/sell/maintain and there
was always a Peugeot around

and you get another 40 or
50 thousand miles before the pump expires, you're to the good.

The engineers filled the cars with petrol in the first 15,000 miles of
the cars lives, we got rid of the cars well after 100K miles and never
had to replace a pump, they all ran the cars after filling them with
petrol until they stopped.

--
Clint Sharp