Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby The3rd Earl Of Derby is offline

Default Re-tiling bathroom

wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:

However if the wall is mainly sound, I's simply rip off the really
loose stuff, PVA the slightly OK stuff and reskim with a bonding
plaster.

No need for a finish style plaster if you are tiling anyway.

If you are as crap at plastering as I am, get some batten and nail
carefully up so that there is a facing of batten that is true, and
less than a floats width apart, and then use that as a guide to get
a true level surface.

You can leave the battens in afterwards. The tiles won't care.

Thanks for a useful tip. Tried the battens and it was really easy

Before.
http://img.photoamp.com/i/xJQqmF1.jpg

After http://img.photoamp.com/i/XIfQYzzku.jpg

Miraculously This needed exactly one bag of Wickes one coat plaster.

Weird,never seen plaster that colour before?

Now take the battens out and remedy the slots.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite