Gunner

Default Need to drill 1" deep .138 hole STRAIGHT. HOW?

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:47:12 GMT, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

A city wide blackout at Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:37:44 -0800 did not prevent
"Harold & Susan Vordos" from posting to
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I have little to offer in the way of preventing drill drifting aside from
using a new undersized drill bit, followed by boring as far as possible,
then reaming to hopefully align the balance of the hole with the bored hole,
which should be dead straight. It's a tough call on small holes, though.

It's interesting to see your post, for there are those that seem to think
that twist drills automatically drill straight holes. I've had more than a
few people tell me they do, and more or less imply I'm crazy. One boldly
stated that he could drill through a foot of material and have his drill
come out on location. My experiences through the years prove I'm right,
though. Twist drills are very capable of drilling irregular and crooked
holes. You're wise to be concerned.

Even boring tools can drift. Maybe not as much as a drill would, but .600
is a lot of run out. Okay, so its a hole 31 1/2 feet long. ... nothing is
perfectly straight without work.

Ive got a very nice Eldorado Gun Drill for sale, if anyone wants really
deep straight holes...

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton