Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Paint Stripper again

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
Now that the temp. has dropped below 70 again, I've been trying to strip
paint off the outside of a steel entry door again, but after half an
hour, except for the odd small patches where paint is coming off when I
scrape it, all that's coming off is a clear film (presumably the dried
stripper) leaving the paint underneath virtually unscathed.

The previous owners left none of this paint behind (they left others),
so I have no idea what it is. Supposing it is an epoxy? Would that
behave the way I'm seeing, and would that indicate that some
extra-strength stripper is needed?

Perce

If you are using semi-paste paint remover (with methylene something in
it), brushing it on thick, and leaving for about half hour, you should
be getting results. The loose paint will wrinkle up and scrape away
easily. It often takes two or three applications to get through
multiple coats of paint. I dump the goo into a coffee can and often
recycle it, as even with a lot of paint mixed in it will still work.

If you have a coat of primer that won't budge, leave it on and just sand
it smoothe. Possible it might have a baked on coat of something. When
down to the last traces of paint, I scrub with steel wool and wipe it
off with steel wool, scrub with steel wool and mineral spirits, wipe
that off. If there is rust, sand it. Prime right away (after drying) if
it is a steel door. A wipe with denatured alc. helps dry it and make
sure no oils or grease remain.