Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc
Don Bruder Don Bruder is offline

Default scsi bus ringing/signal shape change

In article .com,
wrote:

Tim Williams wrote:
You probably need a termination. Rise times in nanoseconds means harmonics
in the hundreds of MHz, easily enough to generate reflections and standing
waves on unterminated lines. And woe is he who has a crappy line...I can't
imagine ribbon cable is all that happy if you don't ground every other wire.

Tim

The DAQ card and perif boards all have termination. Would I need some
diode termination setup at the external clock source too? Or is having
it at the terminal devices sufficient?

SCSI is NOT voodoo. There are sound scientific reasons why there must be
*EXACTLY* three terminations involved in any successful SCSI chain: The
Termination at the Host machine, the Termination at the last peripheral
on the chain, and of course, the Termination of the chicken over the
chain, performed using a silver bladed knife on the night of moondark
whilst burning 8 black candles.

--
Don Bruder -
- If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,