Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default New tool, lots of questions.

On 27 Aug 2006 05:03:41 -0700, "ebd" wrote:

You clearly don't have any experience with diplomacy or tact.

Very helpful suggestion, EBD.. I'm sure that it helped the OP a lot..

I'd suggest that the OP visit the sites of a few members here, especially
Darrell Feltmate's site at:

www.aroundthewoods.com

I'm self taught, and it took me 3 years of hard work to unlearn all the
bad/dangerous/expensive habits that I'd learned..

There's tons of free help on the web for any level turner that wants to learn
and have fun..

Quick answer... the tailstock, if it has a "live center", should be turning at
the same speed as the work...
I sort of go by feel, but try tightening it while the lathe is running.. put
enough pressure on the tail stock to keep the wood up to speed but not bind or
burn it.. back off a bit if the lathe is slowed by the tailstock..

Several places sell "Safety Centers" that will not grab if you catch the wood
with the chisel.. might be a good investment..

I'm hoping that since you have a well setup shop, you have a face shield... if
not please Get one... can't turn much if you don't have eyes left..

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis