Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
David Wade David Wade is offline

Default I need a hard strong wood thats easy to find!

Here is some information that may help you. It is a long URL. If it
doesn't execute well just do a Google search on "mechanical properties
of wood".

I haven't gotten too deep into your website. Do you also do metal
spinning to get these shapes?

DW

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fp...of%20 wood%22

Charles Friedman wrote:
I need to experiment with some new shapes in my hydraulic press set up.
Basically I have a master die that holds a 6 inch disk of dead soft
copper and I drive a punch into it to form a hollow vessel. I wish to
try some new shapes and sizes. The current dies and punches are steel.
I can easily turn a piece of oak to the correct size and shape, but I am
wondering if there are other good or better woods to use. The amount of
preasure generated on the steel die/punch set up is 3500 psi. The wood
could be a one use punch, but it would be nice if there is a better
choice with a nice compressive strength.
The size of the piece would be a cylinder of 2.5 inches diameter and a
length of 5 inches. The working end of the punch would have a rounded
flat bottom (radius of 3/16 inch) and could also be spherical (diameter
of 2.5 inches) or bullet shape or a taper.
For a picture of what I am doing please go to:
http://www.poirierstudio.com/basic%20die%20forming.html

Thanks
Charles Friedman DDS
Ventura by the Sea