Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Solar powered stirling engine project

Sat, Aug 26, 2006, 12:00am (EDT-1) (Morris*Dovey)
reports back thusly:
I like that. My dream boat is (would be) a 50' sailing cat with fuel

cells for
on-board power and stirling cycle
backup auxillary engines. I'd need an
on-board workshop, of course.

Ah, that's a bit different story. Haven't kept up with fuel
cells, but I don't think they're far enough along for that, or at least
not at a reasonable price. Stirling power for on-board power I think
could well work, maybe even your solar way. Just not for propulsion.
Been some recent advances using Diesel fuel for cooking, heading,
refigeration, et al, if you opted to go that way..

You might be surprised. There are a
number of major deserts that are
deserts precisely because all the water is unusably/inconveniently

below the
surface.

Yeah, I knew a bout the underground water. It's a real bitch tho,
getting to the launch ramps.

I agree (unless someone points out that the breeze that pushes a

sailboat is just an indirect use of solar energy) - PV
manufacturing can be pretty clean; but
I'm not as sure about batteries. We still have a lot to learn about

how to store
energy.

The key word is indiret. Clean manufacturing, but production of a
lot of nasty waste. And things like sulferic acid aren't nice to
be/have around.

The greenies are just like everyone else - they see what they want

to see and
ignore the rest until it bumps 'em in the nose. I think their

intentions are good -
but they seem as prone as anyone to
not consider what the consequences
would be if all their dreams came true.

The daisy eaters have a right to their own opinion. I guess. It's
when they start doing things like spiking trees they should have their
right to an opinion taken away. Besides the rist of injuring or killing
unsuspecting loggers, who have families to support, spikes are not good
for the trees they're so worried about. I guess they figure the end
justifies the means. A lot of them are also anti-hunters, who don't
realize the game conservation funds come from the taxes on hunting and
sporting equipment and licenses.

This is a non-problem. The x decided I
was too boring and left. I work wood (to pay the bills) or sail as

/I/ choose.

Ah, exes. Different subject altogether. A subject for a different
time and place.

Interesting! I wonder how efficient it is..

Supposedly quite. With a monotube boiler there'd be no problem of
producing steam for long periods. Any flammable fuel could be used.
Wood, grass, corn stals, charcoal, coal, used oil, vegetable oil,
propane, etc. Make a combo boiler, that would use a gaseous and/or
liquid fuel, and then could use driftwood in a pinch. Or, just use
driftwood, period. Many options. I've skimmed over the info and think
it should do fine (I'm no marine engineeer tho). If water jet power can
work, why not? Or a water pump.
http://www.belljar.net/jetboatdevel1.htm

JOAT
Justice was invented by the innocent.
Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.