Chris Spyrou

Default Supporting 4 glass corner shelves on a wall

fred wrote:
Chris Spyrou wrote:

Ok, draw a line between the outermost fittings on each wall, the bit
that sticks out past that line is unsupported and cantilevered from
the glass (and fixings) inside. In case 1 (top left) the dim past the
fixing is 300mm but in the case of top middle, the dist over the line
is 200/(root2) ie 141mm (cos of the angle) and is therefore stronger.
How's that?

Thought it was that but wasn't sure how you got to 141mm (and
maths is my strong point!)

Yes the price quoted was 10mm (not toughened).

Hmm, see scary . . . .

Actually for some reason he couldn't quote a price there and then
because he didn't have them there, although for 6mm he just
added £35.

They do look good and avail for up to 10mm shelves, so should be
strong enough. I wonder if you would be able to align these with the
necessary accuracy for 3 shelves worth in a solid wall? Perhaps if
you mounted flat bar (alu) (or even battens) into the plaster (more
work) then your alignment would be easier as you would be fixing
into soft metal or wood rather than masonry drilling.

Did I hear you mention 'more work' somewhere above?

And I thought researching soundproof plasterboards was a task

:-)

At least I can't hear whispering from upstairs now

Next task is a U-shaped shower curtain rail!

--
Chris Spyrou
numero communications limited