Posted to uk.d-i-y
squelchy squelchy is offline

Default Diesel starting problem

Hi

the main reason I thought it could be the battery is due to the fact
that I have had this problem happen to me with a petrol car as well it
seemed that the engin was turning over fine with out any run down but
it terned out that the batery conections where lose only slightly and
because this slight loss of power it caused the engin to not start
first time occationaly like in your case as has already been sied the
compression rate on a deisal is higher there for it needs more juise to
get it going and to heat up the glow plugs if your battery is chargeing
properly it will not always start properly I would put it down to this
first before taking it to the BMW people that will charge you a fortune
to just open up the bonnet (from previous main dealer experiance)
Clint Sharp wrote:
In message , OxSc
writes
Petrol will damage the fuel *injection* pump. The fuel injection pump
operates at very high pressures, and is built to very fine tolerances.
It relies on the fuel for lubrication; petrol doesn't fit the bill.

Speaking as someone who used to control field engineers and having had
to arrange for their diesel tanks to be emptied and refilled with diesel
on more than one occasion (all within 15,000 miles of new) after the
muppets filled them with unleaded and drove off, we never had a single
incident that cost us more than two tanks of fuel and the garage costs
for pumping out and disposal of the fuel (how much does it cost to put
the fuel in a breakdown truck?). We ran the cars for over 100,000 miles
and never replaced a pump, in fact we never replaced anything in the
fuel system apart from the filters. 13 Peugeot 406HDIs, one Renault
Espace 2.2DT and an Audi A6 1.9Tdi.

--
Clint Sharp