Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Solar powered stirling engine project

David Merrill (in F0jHg.8802$aJ.4584@attbi_s21) said:

| And other Newsgroups as well:

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...l=en&as_epq=st
irling+engine&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_ugroup=&as_usubject =&as_uauthors=&lr=&a
s_drrb=q&as_qdr=&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=1981& as_maxd=24&as_maxm=8
&as_maxy=2006&safe=off

| Lots of model engine enthusiasts in rec.crafts.metalworking; a lot
| of them seem to be in England.

I've subscribed to alt.engineering, alt.sci, alt.solar.thermal, and
sci.engr.mech - and think I'm getting some good info (as I learn to
frame my questions better). Web searches have been less productive,
but not completely dry. Lotsa people talk about stirlings; but not
many have much to offer in the computational area.

I'm not a model enthusiast. My next 'model' will be about 12' (~4m)
tall and built of 4" schedule 40 PVC pipe. I'm boning up on the old
pressure/volume/temperature equations and worrying over stuff that I
haven't looked at since school more than 40 years ago.

Not surprising that the Brits are more interested - the engine was
invented by the Rev R. Stirling, a Scottish minister. Here in the
States we sometimes have a NIH (not invented here) problem...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar