fred

Default Supporting 4 glass corner shelves on a wall

In article , Chris
Spyrou writes
fred wrote:
Chris Spyrou wrote:
I've uploaded another design [top middle] with various bracket styles
http://www.numero.co.uk/misc/loungetv2.gif

Thought top left was by far the kewlst looking, but reckon top middle
may come a close second, and the cantilevered section is reduced
from 300mm to 141mm, nice one. Still don't know if I'd trust it with just
6mm toughened though :-).

Not sure what you mean by cantlevered section reduced.

Ok, draw a line between the outermost fittings on each wall, the bit that
sticks out past that line is unsupported and cantilevered from the glass
(and fixings) inside. In case 1 (top left) the dim past the fixing is 300mm
but in the case of top middle, the dist over the line is 200/(root2) ie 141mm
(cos of the angle) and is therefore stronger. How's that?

Initial thought this was a good price for 10mm, but then reading
between the lines reckoned it wasn't toughened which I think would
be a bit scary.

Yes the price quoted was 10mm (not toughened).

Hmm, see scary . . . .

Now you are going to tell me it is a stud wall . . . and this was
more work than you were looking for :-)

Well it's actually it's No and Yes

Two solid walls, but it probably comes into the more work than I was
looking for, especially with 4 shelves. The other 3 shelves housing
what I would term light AV equipment (video, dvd and sat box),
whilst the amp is 10kg and will be the highest shelf.

It's got to the point when I'm hoping that 6 brackets will do the job
adequately - like the
Spur 322307000 Small Comet Chrome Brackets (but in silver)
or 6 WM04(s) http://tinyurl.com/md3w.

They do look good and avail for up to 10mm shelves, so should be strong
enough. I wonder if you would be able to align these with the necessary
accuracy for 3 shelves worth in a solid wall? Perhaps if you mounted flat
bar (alu) (or even battens) into the plaster (more work) then your alignment
would be easier as you would be fixing into soft metal or wood rather than
masonry drilling.

And I though researching soundproof plasterboards was a task

:-)
--
fred