Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grumps Grumps is offline

Default Diesel starting problem

squelchy wrote:
Paul Herber wrote:
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 13:11:21 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

The pump is an extremely sensitive precision instrument that gets
the fuel up to about 1800 bar.

ITYM 1800 PSI, or abour 120 bar.

Nope. 1800 bar, or about 27,000 PSI. Very dangerous stuff. A leak
can squirt out with such force that it can slice right into the
human body.

Different designs use different pressures. They're pretty much all
above 1000 bar, and some new designs are now edging 2000 bar.

Well, well, well, I wouldn't have beliived it but I;ve now found such
on google. Had a suitable question been on WWTBAM I would have got
the answer wrong.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.pherber.com/
Electronics for Visio http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/

Hi

I dont know if anyone has mentioned this before but if it is a deasil
the glow plugs need to suck quite allot of batery power for them to
heat up before the fuel will light and start the engin if your battery
is not in its best condition tha is the first place I would look if
you notice the baterys on deasils are always heavy duty for this
reason compared to a pertrol engineed car hense why they tend to cost
more to replace (just the joys of a deasil) try to get the batery
charged over night or see if you friendly garage will test out the
problem with a new battery if you have a friendly local machanic they
will do this for free as if you need a new battery they would hopwe
for the sale.

I hope this helps

Thanks for the reply.
Problem is, the car starts normally 99% of the time. Only occasionally will
it take longer.
I put the battery on charge last night for about 12 hours. It was still not
fully charged by morning. Even so, I'm not sure it is the battery.
How does one test the battery? (the engine does turn over easily for
sustained periods)