Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE Sylvain VAN DER WALDE is offline

Default Diesel starting problem

"Grumps" wrote in message
Hi All

I've got a 7 year old BMW 530d and it has developed an intermittent
starting issue. Normally, it will start with just a flick of the ignition,
but now it sometimes takes about 5 seconds. It turns over easily, so I
don't suspect a battery problem. The battery however, is one that has a
charge indicator, and it is black (insufficient charge). Of course it
should be green, but at least it isn't orange (dead)!

Before this car I had another BMW diesel. When starting this one, you had
to wait for the instrument panel's pigtail symbol to extinguish before
cranking. This was, as you know, to allow the glow plugs to heat up.

The current car does not have this pigtail symbol, so how does it work? It
still has glow plugs I assume?
My thoughts as to the intermittent starting problem were that there is a
loose connection to or from the glow plug relay. Any other thoughts before
Mr Local 'tie me up and steal my money' BMW Dealer has a look? Oh, and if
anyone knows where said relay is likely to be, that'd be useful too.

PS I've tried some BMW specific online forums, but these seem to have
degenerated since I last used them ('where can I find an M3 logo for my
316?' etc).

Thanks.

I'm about 20 years out of date, however: You shouldn't assume that your glow
plugs, heaters, etc... are (all) ok. Are they connected in series, or in
parallel. If connected in series, one faulty one (open circuit) will affect
the others; also a series resistance assembly may be used (for 4-cylinder
engines), which could be faulty.
Check that each heater has the right voltage on it (12v. on a parallel
connection, and 2v. on a series one).
How much trouble is it to take them out?
Test them electrically, whilst out of the engine; keeping the test to a
minimum to avoid overheating. Keep in mind that the voltage for series
connected ones will be lower (2v.).
It's a good habit to take them out occasionally for a check (best prior to
the winter).

Sylvain.